Monday, November 16, 2009

Where I am Right Now/Brussels Sprouts

I'm at the Indian Road Cafe on Indian Road, the only road in Manhattan, sitting in the back by the fireplace (faux) where the knitters are knitting. I am not a knitter, but I have a lot of respect for knitters. If I could knit without getting totally stressed out over the fact that I can't write while I knit, then I would knit, but I hardly get a minute to write as it is. The knitters and I are talking about brussels sprouts which I love, and my six year old loves them too. There is almost nothing more wonderful than sitting down to eat a family meal, and my son says, "Brussels sprouts? I love those!"

I cut them in half and toss them with sea salt and olive oil. Some days I add lemon juice and lemon zest, some days sliced sun-dried tomatoes and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add sliced shallots or red onion and/or garlic if desired. Bake in a pyrex dish in the oven at 350 for half an hour or until starting to brown. Prefer cauliflower? Do the same thing with those, and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I am a knitter, but I don't eat brussel sprouts. I have enormous respect and admiration for people who can toss off recipes for brussel sprouts!

    ReplyDelete